They are the same thing.
- The term (Hybrid or Master) used, depends on your choice of usage of this object.
- The database table, and the Envio source code refer to it as a Hybrid Tag
- Hybrid Tag is a PTI (Produce Traceability Initiative) term. It refers to the scenario where a shipper physically combines several small pallets of the same product onto one physical pallet, as nobody wants to deal with shipping multiple partial pallets of the same product when they can simply be restacked onto one physical pallet. A Hybrid Tag is a tag document that has its own identifier (the Hybrid Tag number) and knows whom its children are (the pallets that were combined). It has lots of GTIN bar codes, and is used for compliance with the PTI. Walmart and others are beginning to require this document on their received product. It has nothing to do with inventory control and everything to do with complying with the requirements of PTI that says, “you will have a printed document on each physical pallet that has bar coded GTIN numbers to represent the quantity and products on the pallet.”
- SSCC is just another number that is a Hybrid tag property and is printed on the PTI Hybrid Tag document. So a Hybrid Tag has two names for itself, its SSCC number and its Hybrid Tag Number.
- Master Tag is an inventory control term. It also refers to the scenario where a shipper physically combines several small pallets of the same product onto one physical pallet, as no warehouse manager wants to use up floor space for smaller pallets when they can be combined onto one pallet. This has nothing to do with PTI and everything to do with managing inventory. Some companies encounter this scenario frequently, so they will combine the smaller pallets onto one physical pallet, and then enter into Envio that they have created a Hybrid Tag, and here are its child pallet tag numbers. They then print a Hybrid Tag document which includes a barcoded Hybrid Tag number. Then at shipping time, the Hybrid Tag number is scanned, and Envio looks up all of its child pallet tags, and ships each one.